Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Ouch

Fumbling, mumbling, tripping, goofing. Again.

I walk with a co-worker/friend through the hall. We round the corner. And there he is. I'd called him earlier on his cell phone, needing to meet with him to, well, for him to do me a favor. I wasn't aware that he was going to stop by the office before his appointment, after which we'd planned to meet. It shouldn't matter and doesn't matter that he was there, only I didn't expect to see him. Only that while walking, I turned around when I saw him and was walking backwards and the surprised me that has no pride or even any filter, the part of me that gets so excited when I see him, said, You're here!

He said nothing as he watched me walk right into the closed door. The door I couldn't see because I was walking backwards and looking at him. Crash.

My friend laughed. His assistant laughed (another innocent bystander/witness to my crime against myself). I fumbled, mumbled, grabbed the back of my head (where it hit the door) and said nothing while looking at him with all sorts of surprise on my face I'm sure. The expression on his face could only be called perplexed (to be polite, to myself).

Behind my back, my other hand rapidly fumbled for the door knob, turned it, and spilled out and away from view. While the door slowly closed on its hinges, I leaned against the corridor wall, hand over my face. My friend (still laughing) said, Girl, you never act like this.

True. Except that apparently I do. Sometimes.

7 comments:

maxngabbie said...

For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the "sixties" movie this reminds me of! I am laughing though!

maxngabbie said...

P.S. my dad used to call this smitten ;)

Network Geek said...

Oh, I'm sure you only act like that when you have an obvious crush on someone. Luckily, he's a guy and, like me, totally oblivious to these things. Unless someone clues him in.

ghost said...

i love this. it's, for lack of a better word, cute!

Duly Inspired said...

Maxngabbie -- That's exactly it, I'm smitten. Thanks you for naming this dis-ease I have! Don't you just love that word, smitten?

maxngabbie said...

Smitten is a delightful word. It is a feeling that can put a skip in the step of a 80 year old. It is sweet, pure, and fun. It stirs up youthful feelings. Alison, have fun with it!

Anonymous said...

Only as Alison can do! (oh to be a fly on the wall and watch you in all your 'glory') Thanks --- I can picture you.
SMITTEN, yep...must be.
;]