Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Good morning!

Yawn, stretch. Sunbeam coming through my bedroom window. Roll over, try to fall back asleep. Thump, thump, thump, the brown dog's tail on the bed. She rolls on her back, her morning request that I rub her stomach please. I lazily move my hand, rub rub rub. Thump thump thump. I love waking up like this.

Hey, it's New Year's Day. Day one of a new year. There's a day out there, a bright new morning.
I'm excited about this year. I can't put my finger on it but I believe it's going to be a good year. I'm taking its hand and we're going to dance together. I made resolutions this year, something I don't normally do and haven't done for years and years. But on the 1,100-mile drive to Durango and on the 1,100-mile drive back to Houston, I had plenty of time to pull all my drifting thoughts and ideas and form them into a cohesive lot. And then I wrote them down, in the form of resolutions. Part to-do list and part reminder, it's all attainable. Sure, it'll take a little work, a bit of focus and a dash of discipline, but it's reasonable and reachable. And that has me excited. For me.

Guess what? I am happy. Not grinny, silly happy, but happy as in content. I feel good. I like the decisions I've been making lately, and I like the direction those decisions are leading me. I like now, and I accept the road that got me here. I like that I have shoulders broad enough and determination strong enough to hold on when the ride is rough, and a mind smart enough and a heart open enough to recognize and cherish the smooth times. I like knowing my way towards what I want for myself and my life in the new year. I can see the map, can see my way there, and that clarity is precious to me, very precious.

Happy New Year to you. And you. And you and you and you.

4 comments:

Adam said...

...and to you!

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Happy New Year to you Alison! All the best in '08.

Network Geek said...

Happy New Year to you, too!

I don't remember the last time I was content. It's what drives me forward.

Linda@VS said...

Happy New Year to you, too, Alison! I, too, have a good feeling about the upcoming year, and I find your comments about your present contentedness and your future plans life affirming in a very nice way.