Thursday, March 29, 2007

Hurricane season

Hurricane season begins the first day of June but for me it started early this year, early as in last Saturday. That's when my personal hurricane returned to Houston.

In the past couple months, my hurricane has been a shoulder for me. While he's been on his boat in St. Martin, St. Barts, Guadalupe, St. Lucia and elsewhere through the Caribbean, he's also been on his phone and computer, texting and emailing support. In the past couple months, he's been a good friend and we've kept the focus there.

And let me say that when a big love leaves you and cuts you out of his life to leave you picking yourself up from the floor and learning to walk again, well, when another man says, You can talk to me, and means it, that is something and that is healing. That is showing up.

And so it has been over the past weeks. He's shown up, if not at my door, then on my phone and computer. He's sent texts and emails that start with, I'm so sorry, babe, wish I could be there to hold you, and he checks in again and again. Through that we've become the friends we were meant to be.

And then he did show up at my door. In fact, he's sitting across the table from me as I write. Several candles flicker between us, on pillars, in glasses, on trays. I look up from my screen at him, wait a moment, and he looks up at me. Love you.

He got his hurricane moniker because he used to blow into my life on very short notice, turn everything upside down and then be gone before I knew what happened. It was usually quite a storm. This trip has not been like that. This trip has been more constructive. He's helped me with the leak from the air conditioning, he's fixed the non-surrounding surround sound. He's helped fix the sheet rock damage in the bathroom and closet. We've had dinners on patios, rented movies and will do some shopping tomorrow. We've had fun, the kind of fun that runs across fields of grass, tumbles, looks back to be sure you're there, and laughs. That's good stuff for me, the laughter. It has been Pink and Fluffy, meaning it's all good.

Fluffy pink hurricane?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just what the doctor ordered!

ghost said...

you should get him a t shirt with embroidered on the chest. in pink.

Linda@VS said...

You're due for some good times. I'm glad this hurricane blew into town to bring you some fresh air.

Anonymous said...

What great friends you have. How would we ever make it without them? Glad you're getting to have a great visit.