Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The short of it

I was struggling to wrap up a long post about the horse show I went to this weekend when it dawned on me that the reason I was struggling was because it was a rambling piece of crap in which I was unable to decide whether or not I wanted to write about when I used to dream about competing in the show, when I did compete in the show, or how it felt to return to the show over the weekend. And in being unable to decide where to focus, I was all over the place, weaving in and out and back and forth, yet saying nothing.

That in mind, I've deleted the entire wandering and wordy mess and instead present here the Cliffs Notes version:

Pin Oak Charity Horse Show, Houston, Texas

1) Pin Oak horse show is an A-rated horse show with a multitude of equestrian and under saddle events, the only ones of interest to me being the Hunter and Jumper classes.
2) At one time, the show was rather posh, a see-and-be-seen sort of societal charity event.
3) Mother used to bring me to the show when I was a young girl. She made me dress up. And wear white gloves.
4) I had big dreams of one day getting out of that outfit and into riding attire, and riding my own horse in the show.
5) One day arrived and my dreams came true. For several years, my horse and I competed in the show.
6) Happy Days!
7) An expanse of time passed between the last year I exhibited at the show and last Saturday night when I returned.
8) Where it felt great to be back.
9) And where I took these photos.
10) The end.

DSC_0023 DSC_0040 DSC_0050
DSC_0047 DSC_0034 DSC_0045

This is so much better than what I had originally written. You should thank me.

2 comments:

Linda@VS said...

Oh, I can SO relate! Not to the horse show, but to the long, rambling posts that get canned because they just don't work. At least you knew the difference; sometimes I don't.

Glad you enjoyed the horse show. I, in turn, enjoyed the photos.

ghost said...

thank you? alison, ive been coming here for who knows how long now and ive yet to read anything that was sub par.