Sunday, June 12, 2005

Addendum


Several weeks ago, I was driving down the road and chatting with my sister-in-law, Kathy, on my cell phone. Kathy was telling me about her afternoon spent with Mom. At all costs to her sanity, she navigated through the mine field of things that can set Mom off. She exercised her skill in patience. She exhibited her skill in mediation. She practiced her skill at knowing when to keep her mouth shut, as well as her skill at bending over backwards. She was wiped out from the afternoon, but pleased that it had gone without incident (something that doesn't happen very often). I commented that she deserved a gold star. And just a moment after I said that, I saw one. I couldn't believe it - there it was, a giant gold star sitting on four wheels, parked on the side street. I told her and we laughed about it. I wished I had my camera. This afternoon I saw it again. And this time I had my camera. So, Kathy, here's your gold star. It's a big one, isn't it? You deserve it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, now that is what I call one big shiny star. I just might keep this and refer to it on days she has forgotten to say "thank you", which could be any given day. But I prefer to share it with my other family members who also deserve it on a regular basis. So I have deemed this as the "Groth Gold Star"...kdg

Sass said...

Love that