Thursday, May 31, 2007

Everybody knows one

There is a woman who works for the same company as I do but we don't work together and I don't know her well, though she's always pleasant if not a bit too friendly for my comfort zone. She's a busybody, that one, and I've heard several stories about her, stories that seemed a bit stretched in their telling. I privately held the opinion that there was no way someone could be that unfiltered in her manners and words in an office environment.

Until today, that is.

In our lobby this morning, Busybody was waiting for the elevator, along with an office friend. I was sorting brochures at reception. The office friend asked, When do you leave on your trip?

I tell her Tuesday.

Busybody asks, Where are you going?

I tell her.

She says, Ooooh, nice. Is this what you're doing with your inheritance?

The lobby is silent. I stand there, mouth agape and wordless.

The elevator arrives and takes her away.

I look at the receptionist and she at me. She shakes her head and answers the ringing phone, listens to the caller and puts the call through, all the while her head shaking. I walk out of the lobby and hear her, tsk tsk tsk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. I can't think of anything else to say...but....wow.

I hope once you got it out into cyberspace, you can put it behind you and not let it ruin, your day, or your trip. Can't wait to hear your adventures.
-sdhb

Anonymous said...

i once had a near jaw-dropping experience when Liam told us he hit five out of six in the lotto and spent the winnings on an engagement ring, but reading this, Alison, it actually happened.
incredible.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Yes, unfortunately, everyone DOES know one. Usually more than one. I am constantly amazed at how tactless people can be. I thought it was a common sense thing....but maybe it's a learned thing....and they just weren't 'brung' up right. Hope it didn't hurt your feelings - just consider the source.

Linda@VS said...

Yes, I've known someone just like that. On my last job (you know which job I mean), there was one woman the management team used occasionally to "test the waters." If we were undecided about implementing a policy change, we'd "leak" it to her in confidence. By the end of the day (the literal end, not the one you can't stand), we'd have the feedback we needed to make a decision.