Monday, May 21, 2007

In which inspired unravels

I was in a meeting today that started at 8:30 and ended at 5:30 and then moved on to a social dinner until 9:30. There were 12 of us in the meeting and dinner. I learned that 11 of us incorporate the phrase, At the end of the day, regularly into our speech. Regularly as in often. I stopped counting at 25, the number of times I heard At the end of the day. I didn't start counting until I noticed a pattern and realized that I was being tortured, so there must have been at least at 10 times the phrase was uttered before the twitching began. The day was young when I quit counting, not yet noon.

It's like nine hours of sitting in a room while someone scrapes their ridiculously long fingernails along the chalkboard, the phrase's over-use that irritating to me.

Now, it is the end of the day. And, finally, I've stopped twitching.

But I know it's only temporary, the lack of twitching. Tomorrow is the second day of the meeting, which will carry on until the end of the day. Or eternity, whichever comes first.

4 comments:

ghost said...

remind me to tell you the story of how ghost lost his mind in a meeting of the same sort on friday and commenced to tell a guest speaker that he didnt care and her best bet would be to get away from him.

ghost said...

actually, i guess thats the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Alison, you're so funny! I sit here all by myself, smiling when I read this. I hear you!! Sometimes I'll hear the same thing until I just want to scream. Usually though, it's coming out of hubby's mouth, and I bite my tongue! :-)

Anonymous said...

you will miss the at-the-end-of-the-day days when your associates adopt the now spreading affliction, "it is what it is."