Saturday, May 12, 2007

Seven things

Velvet tagged me with this space filler and since my head is so exhausted from overuse at work this week, I'm happy to oblige.

Seven facts you might not have otherwise known about me:

1. I wing it. A lot.

2. I try to smell a flower every day. I don't always succeed, but more often than not, I do.

3. I'm never able to figure out if I'm for the most part happy or the most part sad. I've felt this way since college. I decided that as long as I'm unable to figure it out, then I'm okay. I do know that for the most part I am satisfied, and the glass is half full.

4. The circus always comes through Houston around the time of my birthday. For years, we would go. On my 17th birthday, I went with some friends and we bought flashlights that had spinning bulbs of red and blue. I don't recall why. One of my friends left hers in my car. For about two weeks, whenever I drove through the neighborhood at night and was behind a car going too slow for my liking, I'd turn on both flashlights and hold them up. Without fail, the car in front of me would move to the side and let me pass. I only stopped because the power was going to my head and I felt sure it was only a matter of time before I got caught.

5. Seeing litter hurts my feelings. It's one of the things my father passed on to me. And that commercial in the 70s, the one where the Indian sits atop his horse and looks out over piles of garbage as a tear slowly falls down his cheek, I haven't seen that commercial in a long time but even thinking about it moves me. I pick up litter every day.

6. When I board a flight, I have to tap the outside of the plane two times with my right hand right before stepping onto the plane.

7. I read magazines from the last page to the first. This habit started with Time Magazine because I always enjoyed the back page essay and would read that first, then wind my way forward. It continued with Vanity Fair because I like to read the Proust Questionnaire first and that too was on the last page. Now, it's just the way I read magazines. The table of contents are a brief recap for me.

And that is that.