Wednesday, January 26, 2005

All the ingredients but no recipe

Apparently I'm a member of the valued guest program at the particular hotel in which I'm staying. I did register for this way-back-when, but don't recall which hotel programs provide what. This one though, this one is nice. I'm in my room for five minutes and Guest Services arrives at my door with a plate of fruit, two bottles of water and a bucket of ice. Of course I handle this in my usual way and tell the guy flatly that I did not order that. His response was it's free because you're in our valued guest program. He could have stopped after free. So, here I am in Chicago. It's cold and snowing outside, but in my room I have an incredible view, an enormous pillow-top bed, and a bowl of grapes. And I'm alone. Doesn't seem right.