Monday, April 11, 2005

Seriously now

I want to write about something, the wind to be specific, but before I do, I want to say that one of my favorite things in the entire world happened this evening. And the smile that erupted from me was not unlike the fizzing coca-cola bubbling over and down the edges of the glass. After dinner with my niece and nephew, we went to CVS for an assortment of things -- a birthday card, Arizona iced-tea by the gallon, my prescriptions. As I was sorting out insurance information at the prescription counter, from across several aisles, I heard laughter. Hers and his. Instantly I recognized it as theirs, and because it was theirs, it belonged to me. The pharmacist asked me a question and I couldn't be bothered. I held up my hand to her and all I could say was, "I'm sorry, hold on a sec, that laughter belongs to me." And I smiled at her. And she smiled back. We both listened. I have no idea what they were laughing about but to hear it from across the store, to recognize it as the laughter of two young people I so love and cherish, it was to experience exactly why people say that laughter is like bells ringing in the distance. It was holy and serene and life affirming. Just a moment overheard, but that peaceful and that perfect.

No comments: