Saturday, March 05, 2005

Craving, dreaming, really wanting this

What I want right this minute is to be cradled in Maurice Chevalier's arms. And while I'm there, I want him to sing this song to me (Smile), in the sort of spoken lyrical way that was his. Although I'm not sure he ever sang the song, I can hear him singing it in my mind, and it's as nice as a jacket over my shoulders on a cool day. And when he's finished the song, I want him to hold onto me for a while. Impossible, I know, but to imagine it is nice.

Smile, though your heart is aching.
Smile, even though it's breaking.
Though there are clouds in the sky, you get by

If you smile through your fears and sorrows.
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come
shining through.

If you just light up your face with gladness,
Hide every trace of sadness.
Although a tear may be ever, ever so near.

That's the time you must keep on trying.
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find life is worthwhile
If you'll just smile, come on and smile.
If you just smile.

No comments: