Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Undesirable secondary effects

For the past couple months, I have been taking Prednisone, a corticosteroid, for medical reasons. It’s pretty powerful stuff and it takes care of the problem but it also comes with a crowd of side effects. And something about my physical/chemical make-up invites the whole throng to come on in and hang their side-effecting hats for a while. Seriously, every one of these has been keeping me company lately:
  • stomach irritation
  • insomnia
  • fatigue
  • restlessness
  • depression
  • anxiety
  • easy bruising
  • weight gain
  • blurred vision
  • rounding/puffiness of the face
  • night sweats
  • personality changes

Does that sound fun to you? It's not. But looking at the list itself provides me with some amusement. My favorite is the last item. It’s as if the person who scribed the list was actually reading it and thought, that would piss me off, so they added the list up and put the result at the end. Experience all of these things and your personality will change too. It's a side effect of the side effects.

No comments: