Thursday, March 24, 2005

Pistol Packin' Pink

The color on my toes is Pistol Packin’ Pink. It’s an OPI color and while OPI makes a good polish, I really gotta hand it to them for their names. They are clever, and pure fun to read. In the pinks alone, there’s:
  • Pinking of You
  • Not so Bora-Boring Pink
  • La Paz-itively Hot
  • Italian Love Affair
  • Cha-Ching Cherry
  • Arginteeny Pinkini
  • A-rose at dawn… broke by noon

You get the idea. I don’t read polish names except for OPI. And I’m not alone. There are loads of us who walk up to the fingernail polish display in salons all over the country and we turn the OPI bottles over just to read the names.

I’ve spent more than a small amount of time wondering about the naming process OPI might utilize. Is it someone’s job? And if it is, I just know that it's a clever job title. Or is it a group effort? Whose idea was it to incorporate Geography? Are names scribbled on charts like brainstorming ad concepts? Are the names tested for appeal with their target audience? Every scenario I can think of has fun written all over it. I do not know, but if there is a job naming OPI nail polish, well I think it just has to be one of the coolest jobs out there. Assuming, of course that it paid well and offered good benefits.

No comments: